X is the letter of the week and I have a Quiz today.
Here are a few clues. Can you figure out who Mr X is? And also the book he appears in? (Just to clarify: His name does not begin with the letter X)
- Although the book is named after him, X’s name doesn’t appear in the title.
- X is the protagonist of a path-breaking novel first published privately in Florence, Italy in 1920.
- When it was published some 30 years later in Britain by Penguin Books, the publishers were persecuted under the Obscene Publications Act. They however came out winners on the grounds that the book was a work of ‘literary merit’.
- X works as a blacksmith till he runs off to join the war. Finally he ends up as a gamekeeper at a nobleman’s estate.
- The book talks of his affair with an upper-class woman.
Do leave your answers in the comments. I’ve enabled comment moderation. The answer will be up this Tuesday.
Edited to add: The character is Oliver Mellors from Lady Chatterley’s Lover by DH Lawrence. The book created quite a stir when it came out.
Linking up to ABC Wednesday for the letter X. As always, grateful to Mrs Nesbitt for coming up with the idea for this wonderful meme.